For starters, I am not a make up person by any means. I just found out what highlighter was last summer and I still don’t really know how to do my eyebrows… but I do my best! I started to focus on clean beauty (as in natural and ethical ingredients) last February when I first went vegan. My main concern at that time was making sure all of my products were vegan. Little did I know that by switching over to clean vegan beauty not only was I going to be lessening the amount of ecologically toxic chemicals going into out oceans and rivers BUT my skin was going to change drastically… for the better!
I have struggled with breakouts and occasional cystic acne since I was 15. Like most people, I have tried just about everything as far as natural ways to help clean your skin and nothing helped my skin as much as changing my makeup. Being that I was 22 when I made the switch.. that was 7 years of putting toxic chemical directly into my pores and then washing them into the environment. But that’s enough about me… let’s get to the point!
Regular makeup is not only bad for your skin but its toxic to our planet. I don’t want to bombard you with negative things about makeup but I do feel there are some things that are important. Here is a list of common chemicals found in make up and beauty products that are bad for you and the environment:
- Synthetic Color
- Sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) / Sodium laureth sulfate (SLES).
- Propylene glycol
- Sunscreen chemicals.(benzophenone, PABA, avobenzone, homosalate and ethoxycinnmate.)
The list goes on about the negative effects these chemicals have on our bodies. Among these are that they: disrupt hormones, are carcinogenic, cause skin irritants, have been linked to behavioral problems, endocrine/thyroid disrupting, kidney & respiratory damage, immune system disrupting/toxicity, dermatitis, hives, etc, etc, etc.
As for the environment... these chemicals diminish plankton in our oceans, cause genetic mutations in amphibians, kill microorganisms and entire ecosystems of bacteria and fungus that are crucial to ecosystems.. and again the list goes on and on.
After doing my own research for a brand that I could trust, I found an absolutely amazing brand called 100% Pure. I clicked around, checking out all they had to offer, reading about the founder, the ingredients and the company in general. Their website states their purpose perfectly:
“100% PURE® goes beyond just our name and our ingredients. It is a commitment to produce the purest products, and to promote clean, healthier living. ”
Prior to making the switch, I had used FIT ME matte foundation. I explained to one of their professionals that it gave me great coverage with a natural finish so that is what I was looking for in my next foundation. If you check out the site you will see that they have a lot of different options. The fact that I was able to chat and email back and forth with someone made the whole process really enjoyable. We all know that it can be difficult to fully commit when we purchase certain things online.
Once I received my foundation in the mail the moment of truth came. I washed my face and applied as I usual do… & I was honestly blown away! Not only was it my shade but it was the exact coverage I was looking for. The other reasons why I love this product are:
- It looks great (on my face but also the bottle is lovely)
- It has a pump which means you get every last drop in the bottle
- ITS CLEAN!
Once I fell in love with this foundation I decided to give some of their other products a try. I listed some of my favorites below!
- Luminous Primer: gives a soft and subtle dewy look, great for anyone with combination skin. They also have a matte finish but the reviews all said this one was better!
- Eye Shadow Palette: I don’t wear eyeshadow often but i love these neutral tones.
- Lipstick: I got this for free (another plus is they have deals all the time and a great rewards program!) I haven’t tried it yet but I bought a friend one for christmas and she loves it! I will be sure to update the post once I try it.
- Mascara: This is another new purchase… in the past I have used Pacifica Dream Big Lash Extending (which I loved) so I will let you guys know how this compares!
- Bronzer: I finally splurged on this since summer is coming up, I haven’t had a chance to use it but I love that the first ingredient is cocoa!
- Bamboo Blur Powder: this really dried out my skin and I felt like it made my look very pale. Although I’m not sure if i used it right… anyway I think that this is great for people with oily skin!
- Retinol Restorative Overnight Balm: I love this, use this every night or every other night and wake up with super soft skin.
- I’ve tried both Concealers: Fruit Pigmented® Long Last Concealer with Super Fruits: Peach Bisque and Fruit Pigmented® Brightening Concealer – Peach Bisque, truthfully I didn’t love either one of these and I don’t think I will buy them again.
Please note that by no means does this mean that you should stop wearing the makeup that you love. We all deserve to do things that make us feel beautiful and that bring us joy! If you want to make some changes, start small. I think that it can very overwhelming today to try to always do what is right and healthy for our body. But that being said, it is still important to pay attention to what we put on our bodies just as much as we pay attention to what we put in our bodies!
This post is not an AD nor was it sponsored. I am very happy to share a brand that I feel good supporting and wearing. If you would like to use my code so I get some purist points that would be lovely click the ❤ or copy this link: http://prz.io/EXljj5CK.
P.S. Don’t forget to wash your face, even if the makeup is clean 🙂
The Wholesome Holistic